Saturday, January 11, 2020

Pinned down in Iles des Saintes

We are using two services for weather, both of which we can access daily via our satellite connection.  I had initially set us up with PredictWind. It is a straightforward service that provides weather maps based on the GFS and the European models, providing big picture weather. It allows me to import my boat’s polars (performance details) so it can compute the weather I will see over a passage. I also have subscribed to daily emails from Chris Parker, a meteorologist who specializes in Bahamas and Caribbean weather. He incorporates into his forecasts weather patterns particular for this region. I am reading his book and his emails reinforce that effort. I then teach his concepts to Leif and Ruby as part of our homeschooling science curriculum. 

Both services were in agreement that we were going to see big winds beginning yesterday. We positioned Gryphon so as to be reasonably protected and to be in a place where we would not mind spending a week (or possibly two if you believe Chris Parker). I think we’ve done well for ourselves. 

We’re tucked in behind Ilet Cabrit, an island within Iles des Saintes south of Guadeloupe  I suspect we chose the most protected of the 3 mooring fields. Ruby and I, during a lull yesterday evening, went to town where the boats seemed to be bouncing around more. Moorings that open up around us are quickly snatched up. There is a small cat and 2 mega sailboats anchored just outside mooring field. 

Yesterday we only saw white caps coming around the south side. Today they’re around both sides.  Where I can see out into the open there is a lot of white water. Every once in a while the wind sneaks around the corner to where we are and we’ve seen 27kts in the last hour. I’m sure it’s blowing 40 in the slot between us and Guadeloupe. 

Not a bad place to be pinned down. We’ve got a little beach 100 yds away that’s part of a nature preserve. Good swimming off the boat. Gryphon’s bottom scrubbed clean fairly easily and as I was doing it Ruby swam for the first time under the widest part of the boat. Not a day to go up the mast and pull the diverter off so that project will have to wait (It is helping me to conceptualize the challenge here as needing to pull the halyard both aft and to starboard. Clearly it will require a ring attached in some way.) Leif and I built a bungee for Rudolf’s painter to prevent it from shock loading. We’re surrounded by French people And the language barrier prevents the socialization we had with other boats in Antigua. 

Ruby and I walked along the waterfront street (pedestrian), up one side street to a deli, then back to the waterfront and to a little square. Little shops and restaurants. There may be some marine services. It will be a wet dinghy ride to get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment